Your domain authority can be described as how much google trusts you. Take some major newspaper website for example like BBC or even CNN. These websites have a high domain authority because Google trust what they write. The have at some point reviewed it and decided that whatever comes from that website is authentic, that anyone getting links from that website must be considered important to some level. So this means if i get a link comming from CNN, my SEO ranking with improve dramatically.
How to increase domain authority
This process is directly related to increasing traffic to your website. Here’s a few steps to increase traffic and hopefully Google with reqard you with a higher domain authority.
1. Get proper content on your website
2. Have a proper link structure that clearly defines which article is the parent and which article is the child.
3. Get people to share your link on social media websites
4. List your website on some online directories.
5. Exchange links with some high PR websites.
What i am basically saying is Make your website SEO friendly and make your website popular. Search engines are not going rank something high if it is not popular, and you must establish popularity by links. Google doesnt watch TV, Google doesnt listen to the radio, Google is online so get popular online!